Elizabeth Boubion, MFA, RSMT
Dance Instructor, Choreographer, Presenter, Artistic Director
Registered Somatic Movement Therapist and Educator (RSMT/E)
- Master of Fine Arts- Creative Inquiry and Interdisciplinary Art/ Dance Emphasis. California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA.
- Bachelor of Arts in Dance- California State University Long Beach, CA.
- Certified Tamalpa Life-Art Process from Tamalpa Institute, Kentfield, CA.
- Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers (FLACC is a project of the Piñata Dance Collective) 2014-Present.
- Developed a platform of visibility and inclusion that amplifies the radical aesthetics of Latinx and Indigenous Choreographers from the U.S. and Latin America.
- Implemented master classes, artist-to artist symposia and audience discourse with established and emerging Latinx choreographers in partnership with 5 local dance organizations for featured FLACC artists annually.
- Curated and presented world class cutting edge dance artists such as Miguel Gutierrez(NY), Violeta Luna(SF/MX), Primera Generación(Los Angeles), Momentum (Guatemala) and Transproducción (Baja Ca. MX) among over 50 total featured artists hosted by FLACC. Other notable featured artists include David Herrera, Randy Reyes, Gabriel Mata, Venessa Sanchez, Rulan Tangen, Karla Quintero, Gizeh Muniz, Victor Talledos, Juan Manuel Aldape Muñoz, Detour Dance and many others.
- Oversee curation decisions, artist communications, media outreach, fundraising, marketing, publicity, executive and budget management, production management and cross promotion with a team of 6 organizers. FLACC aims to contribute to the need for cultural equity for marginalized artists who are often left out of funding pools. FLACC hosts an annual festival in San Francisco, hosting guest artists and local choreographers with a project budget of about $45,000 annually.
- Piñata Dance Collective 2011-present.
- Self produced multimedia dance theater installations, performances and workshops. I choreograph and direct dance theater productions that include solo and ensemble material with a psycho-spiritual gaze on the emergent body politic of international women. I have performed over 45 dances in the last 17 years in various dance festivals as well as self-produced performances. I perform improvisational scores and set choreography.
- Some of my company members and guest performers: Scott Wells, Ronja Ver, Karla Quintero, Mayfield Brooks, Rene Alvarez, Dominique Nigro, Andreina Maldonado, Nao Kobayashi, Diana Lara, Aldair Rivera, Shareen De Ryan, Kyle Her, Issachar Curbeon and many others. Musical collaborations include David Molina, Micropixie, Arula, Afia Walking Tree and many others.
- Director of Summer Residencies with Piñata Dance Collective/Guadalajara, MX at Galeria Ajolote. Managing director, Ailyn Arelles.
Residencies received by Piñata Dance Collective(Liz Boubion)
- Choreography Residency- Summer guest choreographer (workshops, performances) at Galeria Ajolote, Guadalajara, Jalisco, MX. 2014, 2015, 2018
- Ground Research in Contact Improvisation- “Unraveling Normal” invited and funded by InterKinected at Earthdance, Plainfield, MA. March 2016.
- Choreography Residency- Shawl Anderson Dance Center- Berkeley, Ca. Piñata Project July-Sept. 2015
- Choreography Residency- 360 Xochi Quetzal, Chapala, MX – Temporario Contemporanea. 1 month room and board. 2014
- Choreography Residency- THEOFFCENTER, San Francisco, Ca. Choreographed Disasters and Natural Events, public workshop and performance. Summer 2012
Grants received by Piñata Dance Collective
- Theater Bay Area- Artist Relief Fund, May 2020
- Commissioned piece by FLACC to be performed in Berkeley Art Museum, 2019
- Commissioned piece by FLACC to be performed at Dance Mission Theater, 2018
- Zellerbach Family Fund Foundation/Grant. 3x recipient 2014, 2015, 2018
Grants received for FLACC/Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers
FLACC is a project of the Piñata Dance Collective and fiscally sponsored by Dancers’ Group. Funding and support provided by:
- San Francisco Arts Commission- Organization Project Grant 2017; Cultural Equity Initiative 2018; Strategic Planning Grant 2018
- Zellerbach Family Foundation- Community Arts Grant 4 x recipient. 2016-2019
- California Arts Council- Cultural Pathways Grant 2018; Development Grant 2018
- National Association for Latino Arts and Cultures (NALAC)- Fund for the Arts (NFA) Organization Grant, 2019
- Fleishhacker Foundation- Small Arts Grants 2x recipient. 2018, 2019
- Dancers’ Group CA$H dance award- 2019
- Community partners, and generous Individuals
University Guest Teaching (Master Classes)
- Performance and Cultural Relevance- California State University East Bay, Hayward, CA. 2014
- Modern Dance- 6 classes- Dominican College, Lines BFA program, SF. CA. 2013
- Contact Improvisation- Saint Mary’s College of California, Moraga, CA. 2013
- Eco-Somatic Integration- Regenerative Design Institute, Bolinas, CA. 2011
- Interdisciplinary Arts- MFA Teaching Assistant- CIIS, San Francisco, CA. 2011
Adult Modern/Contemporary Dance Technique
- Alonzo King’s Lines Dance Center, SF CA. May workshop 2020 CANCELLED- COVID 19
- ODC Dance Commons, San Francisco, Ca. March-April. 8 classes CANCELLED- COVID 19
- Galeria Ajolote- Guadalajara MX, on-going summer classes, July 2018
- Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, October 2015
- Shawl Anderson Dance Center, Berkeley, Ca. Ongoing 2011-2015
- Centro Cultural Barrio San Diego, Guadalajara, Mexico 2014
Contact Improvisation– Mixed Level adult classes
- Shawl Anderson Dance Center, Berkeley, CA. 3-day CI workshop. CANCELLED- COVID-19
- Interkinected Berkeley CA. Pre-Jam Classes- Studio Azul, Finnish Hall (ongoing) 2016-present
- Eastside Contact Improv Lab, Pasadena, Ca. regular visiting artist a few times year 2017-present.
- Los Angeles CI Pre-Jam Classes, Dance Alive and Dance Home, Santa Monica, CA. 4x in 2019.
- Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts- FLACC teaching series. 2015
- Sierra Contact Improv Festival, Eco-Somatic Integration and CI. Sierra Ville, Ca. 2014
- Dance Odyssey- Eco-Somatic Integration and CI. Santa Cruz, Ca. February-July 2014
- CounterPULSE Theater- Pre-Jam CI Class, Nov./Dec. 2012.
- Sierra Contact Improv Festival- Eco-Somatic Integration. SierraVille, Ca. Aug. 2012
- Green Valley Village Rhythm Arts Sanctuary, 2012
- CI Symposium- Co-led with Diana Lara. 8th Street Studios Berkeley, 2012
- 7th Heaven Yoga Thursday Pre-Jam Class, Finding Ground Jan./Feb. 2012
Somatics, Expressive Arts and Performance Laboratories:
- Body Part Mapping on Zoom- While sheltering in place. March-August 2020
- FLACCistas Juntos- Implemented and led new programming for international dance festival. Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers. Community building artist-to-artist program. at Alonzo King’s Lines Dance Center, San Francisco, Ca. 2019
- Bridges & Bones Performance Lab- During the Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers in co-taught with Karla Quintero. Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archives. 2019
- Integración EcoSomática (EcoSomatic Integration)- 3-day weekend with 12 participants. Tapalpa, Jalisco, MX- June 2015
- Performance Lab- “Los Mitos Interiores” Makani – Guadalajara, Jalisco, MX July 2015
- TEMENOS: Expressive Arts for Women, Monkey Yoga Shala. 2014
- Rhythm & Dance with Afia Walking Tree, Born to Drum Summer Drum Camp, Ca. 2013
- Residency Performance Lab/Piñata Breakthrough. Kunst Stoff Arts. San Francisco, Ca. 2012
- Residency Life-Art & Choreography- THEOFFCENTER, San Francisco, Ca. 2012
- Tamalpa Life-Art Process. Weischman Hall, Sebastopol, Ca., 2011
- Tamalpa Life-Art Process. Masonic Temple, Sebastopol, Ca. 2011
- Singing through the Body. Kindred Spirits, Claremont, Ca.. 2011
- Monkey Yoga Shala, Oakland, Ca.:
- Body Part Mapping for Women. 2008-2010
- The Movement Metaphor Series:
Somatic Movement Education and Therapy/ Expressive Arts in Clinical Settings
- Motivational Movement and Expressive Arts for Elders with neurodegenerative diseases. Skyview Senior Center, San Rafael. January 2011-present
- Motivational Movement for Elders- The Point, Rockridge, Ca. 2014-2017
- China Town Health Center- Women’s cancer recovery. 2010-2011
- Women in recovery from substance abuse and incarceration:
- San Francisco Women’s Building, Purple Moon Dance Project. 2010-11
- Casa Maria-Women’s group home, Purple Moon Dance Project, 2010-11
- Bridges & Bones/Puentes y Huesos- 5 dancers co-directed with Karla Quintero. Site-Specific dance with large movable objects at Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive exploring borders, spaces and ancestry through structured improvisational scores. Commissioned by the Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers. Berkeley, CA. 2019
- June Bug Rolls Toward the Sun Like a Scarab- 45 min multimedia solo performance. Choreographed, conceived, written, video installation created by myself. Dramaturgy by Kimberly Lester, Musical arrangement with Neshma Friend (Micropixie) two weekends at the Safe House Arts and the MoJo Theater, SF, CA. June-July 2019
- ¿Cual es el Costo de la Belleza? (What is the cost of beauty?) A piece about body image and the monetary value of corporal performance in Mexico with 9 dancers. 2 week-long residency at Galeria Ajolote, Guadalajara, Jalisco, MX, 2018
- Piñata 45: The End of Her Rope- Evening-length multimedia dance production with 9 dancers about piñatas, cosmetic surgery, race-based body-dysmorphia, gender violence and domestic violence. Included directing 4 solos and ensemble work live music by Chelsey Kirby (Arula) and recorded composition by David Molina. Dancers: Boubion, Andreina Maldonado, Dominique Nigro, Ronja Ver, Issachar Curbeeon, Kristen Rulifson, Scott Wells, Cesar Soto and Kyle Her. Dance Mission Theater, SF. CA 2018
- Miss Venezuela-20 min. duet based on a personal story by dancer, Andreina Maldonado with collaborator, Dominique Nigro. Commissioned by Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers, Dance Mission Theater, SF. CA. 2018
- #DontGrab- 20 min. ensemble/solo Performed in the Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers, Consent Forms Festival, and Piñata 45 at Dance Mission Theater 2017, 2018.
- Unraveling Normal- Solo. Berkeley Arts Museum Pacific Film & Archives, Berkeley, Ca. March 2016
- Piñata #15-About Love. Quintet. Mbongui Square, Zaccho Dance Theater, San Francisco, Ca. Dec. 2015
- Hummingbird on the Left- Solo Indigenous Dance Festival, CSU East Bay, Hayward, Ca. Oct. 2015
- Piñata #14: Fragmentos- Quartet. 2nd Annual ¡FLACC! Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers. Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, SF. Sept. 2015
- Dos Colibris- Duet. Galaria Ajolote, Guadalajara, MX July 2015
- Paper- Trio. Illusion Show May 2015, SafeHouse, SF August, 2015
- Novia Muerta– Solo. 1st Annual ¡FLACC! Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers, Temescal Art Center, Oakland, Ca. 2014
- Temporario Contemporánea– 14 dancers. 360 Xochi Quetzal Residency, Guadalajara, MX. 2014
- Piñata Ritual Performance– Quintet, Shawl Anderson Dance Center, Berkeley, Ca. 2014
- Hummingbird on the Left- Solo, Central Valley Dance Festival, Fresno, Ca. Nov. 2013
- La Reunión- Duet with Afia Walking Tree. Santa Cruz Dance Festival. 418 Project, June, 2013
- Rite of Spring- Solo With Out of the Chamber Music Ensemble. Berkeley Music Festival Feb. 2013
- Bioneers Conference: In company with Afia Walking Tree, and R. Carlos Nakai, Marin, Ca. Oct. 2012
- Piñata 2012: Choreographed Disasters and Natural Events: 6 dancers. 3 musicians.
- Quartet. Dance Mission Theater, San Francisco, Ca. 2012
- Trio. Dissilience Art Show #2, The Space Unlimited. San Francisco, Ca. 2012
- Sextet. THEOFFCENTER, San Francisco, Ca 2012
- Sextet. Kunst-Stoff Arts, San Francisco 2012
- Quintet. Green Valley Village Intentional Community, Sebastopol, Ca. 2012
- Solo. Yo Soy Una Media Luna/I am a Half Moon -SF Queer Arts Festival. The Garage, SF, Ca. 2012
- Green- Solo. Dissilience Art Show #1. Curator: Su Pang, Los Angeles, Ca. 2011
- Maclovia’s Birds: Inspirados por el Arte de Mi Abuelita- Dance Mission Theater, SF, Ca., 2011
- Palabras y Señas – Solo with Karla Avila/Clarinet. CIIS SF. Ca. 2010.
- Art in Nature Festival/Samavesha Inc.- Oakland Regional Park., Ca.
- Unfinished Brides- Duet with Mihyun Lee, and Flock with The Oakland Improv Collective, Oct. 2010
- Tree Spirit -Duet with Afia Walking Tree, Song Birds with Hallie McConologue, Alilia Johnson, Afia Walking Tree, Oct. 2011
- Sombra- Solo. The Garage. S.F. March 2009 and July, 2009
- Good Enough Mother, Holy Land –Moments Notice. Western Sky, Berkeley Ca. 2007, 2008
- Cosmic Drag – Ensemble performance exploring gender and bodies in orbit.
- Jon Sims Center for the Arts, SF, Ca. 2007
- Warehouse 1310, S.F. May 2006
- Lobot Gallery, Oakland, May 2006
- Fa La La -Quartet, Million Fishes Gallery- S.F. Dec. 2005
- Reach- Trio with Tara Brandel, Rowena Ritchie Tamascal Arts Center, Oakland, Ca. 2006
- Dancing Through the Storm- Shawl Anderson Dance Center ,Old Mother’s Cookie Factory. 2005
- Yellow Shirt Revised– Works in the Works, 8th St. Studio, Berkeley Ca. 2004
- 4 Integrative Dance Duets with Niel Marcus, Barefoot Theater Berkeley, Ca. 2001-2003
- Unraveling- Women’s Jubilee/Mary Alice Fry. Venue 9 S.F. Ca., 2001.
- Yellow Shirt – Wurtzburg Dance Festival. Wurtzburg, Germany, 1998
University Guest Performances
- Invited to perform a solo at the Indigenous Dance Festival- Cal State University East Bay. Title: “Hummingbird on the Left” – a piece inspired by the indigenous and multi-national tradition of the Piñata ritual. Before dancing, I gave a brief lecture on the complex history and meaning of Piñatas, and mentioned my personal ancestry as the granddaughter of meztizo grandparents from Sonora, Mexico. 2013
- Invited to choreograph and perform a drum and dance duet in the Queer Dance Festival with musical accompaniment by Afia Walking Tree. California State University East Bay, Hayward, Ca. Title: “La Reunion”. 2012
- Invited to perform a drum and dance duet with Afia Walking Tree at Holy Names University, Oakland Ca.. Untitled. 2011, 2012
- Invited to dance in an ensemble film production at the University California Davis- Directed by Nita Little, PhD Candidate. 2012.
- Scott Wells & Dancers -Danced solo, duet and ensemble 20 minute piece. Muscle Memory, Dance Mission Theater, SF. Ca. 2019
- ABD Productions -Danced solo, duet and ensemble quintet. 10 minute piece. Bay Area Rising 2014
- Megan Nicely, Kunst Stoff Arts, evening length production. SF- Sept. 2013
- Carol Fields- hour long production- 418 Project, Santa Cruz, Ca. June, 2013
- Nita Little- 20 minute piece. Kunst Stoff Arts, SF- 2012- 2014
- Yannis Adoniou- culmination of summer workshop. Kunst-Stoff, SF, Ca. 2011
TEACHING: Dance and Yoga for Children and Teens, ages 2-18
- Upward Bound Summer Program- Teens. Mills College, Oakland, 2019
- Pre-Ballet, Ballet I- YMCA Oakland. February 2015-present
- Yoga-ages 5-8. Happy Kids Dance. Oakland Unified School District, Oakland. Ca. 2011-present
- Teen Modern Dance-Ages 9-14. Ah-Lan Dance Academy, El Cerrito, Ca. July 2014-2017
- Yoga- 7-12. Oakland Public Conservatory of Music, Summer and Winter Camps 2013
- Contemporary Jazz Dance- Edendale Middle School, San Lorenzo, Ca. 2010-11
- Teen Modern Dance and Choreography- Marin High School for the Arts. 2010
- Back–up singer, hand percussion, dancer and flautist for Afia Walking Tree and Friends- African diasporic drummer, community leader, activist. (including Linda Tillery, Regina Wells, Larissa Montfort ) 2011-2015
Cross-Genre collaborators with PDC:
- Musicians/composers with Piñata Dance Collective 2011-2019: Afia Walking Tree(drummer/ceremonialist/Activist), T-Bird Luv(singer/flautist), Karla Avila(clarinet), Evelie Sales Posch(singer/multi instrumentalist), Jacob Johnson(Cellist), Frank Zinke(Sound engineer), Jenina Angel Bath(Flautist), Elektra Schmidt(Pianist), Micropixie(Singer/Song writer), Arula(singer song writer), David Molina(composer).
- Sculpture/set/multi-media interactive: Meryl Juniper (Clay Piñata in Choreographed Disasters and Natural Events- THEOFFCENTER, 2012), Carter Brooks (Piñata Breakthrough- Kunst Stoff Arts)
- Film: Malachi Roth, Matthew Sigal (Piñata), Megan Ballog(Maclovias Birds), Nirmala Nataraj(Queer Women of Color Media arts Project)
- Theater: Amber Fields, Arissa White (Mixed Blended and Whole- Queer Arts Festival, The Garage 2016)
Other Trainings and Formal Apprenticeships
- Re-Evaluative Counseling, West Berkeley Chapter. Jan. 2014-2017
- Nita Little Research Lab. San Francisco, Ca. 2012-2014
- Dance Monks, Jo Kreiter, Karl Frost, Keriac, Ray Chung, Nita Little, Nancy Stark Smith, Scott Wells, Eric Kupers, Rosemary Hannon, Catherine Cooke, Ismael Houston Jones, Ronja Ver, Rene Alvarez, Urban Bush Women (Jawole Willa Jo Zolar) and several others
- Afia Walking Tree and friends. African diasporic drumming, singing, ceremony and permaculture. Community activism through the healing arts. 2011-16
- Theater of the Oppressed- Hector Aristizabal, Alessia Cartoni, Oakland, Ca. 2013
- Rosen Method, Marion Rosen, California Institute of Integral Studies. 2011
- Apprentice with Kim Epifano, Choreographer, Epiphany Productions, 2010
- Apprentice with Daria Halprin, Co-founder of Tamalpa Institute- Tamalpa Life-Art Process- Movement-Based Expressive Art therapy model. Fall Semester, Level one trainees.
- Apprentice with trauma specialist, Sue Martin, MA. JFK University. Somatic Experiencing, Mindfulness and Expressive Arts. Understanding the physiology of stress and practices for healing trauma. 9 months 2010
- Vipassana Meditation, Spirit Rock, East Bay Meditation Center. 2006- present
- “Catching Fruit Where they Fall”: A Personal Reflection by FLACC’s Founding Director, Liz Duran Boubion in Jill Randall’s blog “Life as a Modern Dancer” Read Blog Post…
- Essay: Transgressing the Martyr– Sweet Grit Magazine, CIIS, SF 2011
PRESS Reviews, Previews, Interviews
- The Credibility and Accessibility of Professional Dance, Interview with Liz Boubion by Emmaly Wiederholt. Stance on Dance February 2018
- REST/UNREST: Latina/o/x Choreographers Provide Community and Craft to Strategize, Recover & Resist. Nov. 2017: In Dance Magazine
- Indigenous Latinx Choreographers Cultivate Rest/Unrest FLACC 2017 Daily California,
- Liz Boubion and Catherine Marie Davalos Celebrate Experimental Latino Dance. Interview with Jen Chin KCRW RADIO Interview:
- Dance Card: San Jose Mercury News and the Eastbay Times. By ANDREW GILBERT November 29, 2016
- Stance on Dance – Contemporary Dance through a Latin American Lens, December 5, 2016 By Emmaly Wiederholt
- ¡FLACC! Celebrates Latin Americans in Contemporary Dance Posted in SF Weekly, By Jessi Phillips Sep 22, 2015
- ¡FLACC! 2015 Review Poetry and Politics ¡FLACC! 2015 By Katherine Orloff, Writer, Dancer, Historian
- Review by Heather Desaulniers 2014 of First Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers 2-14 by Heather Desaulniers
- Piñata Guadalajara Review by Sayra Rimada in Amapola Cultura. JAL, MX
- Piñata Breakthrough: A Conversation with Liz Boubion by Nirmala Nataraj. In Dance Magazine and Conscious Dancer Magazine:
- Radio interview with Nina Serrano on “Cronicas de La Raza”, KPFA 94.1FM. Radio Interview on KPFA 94.1 – April 22, 2014
- 22 pg. Analysis of 2 works by choreographer, Liz Duran Boubion. Essay by Olivia Wood, Muhlenberg College Dance Department 2016.
- Contemporary Dance through a Latin American Lens, By Emmaly Wiederholt. Stance on Dance. 2016
- Article written on behalf of featured FLACC 2016 artists of Momentum from Guatamala City. Prensa Libre, Guatamala City.
FLACC 2015 Review. Poetry and Politics By Katherin Orloff, Writer, Dancer, Historian. FLACC 2015 Review.
- Liz Duran Boubion, radio interview with Nina Serrano on “Cronicas de La Raza”, KPFA 94.1FM. April 22, 2014